Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Peppermint Pattie Cookies



I cannot believe that the football season is already half over. With my trip coming up, we will only be going to one more home game. It just seems crazy to me! Though I'm sure my husband will be glad I won't be whipping up tons of cookies for him to take to work =0) Speaking of cookies, I loved the cookie we made this week.  I'm sure if you have bought a bag of Hershey's Peppermint Patties (who hasn't?) you've seen this recipe on the back. My husband saw it after buying a bag for Kae and expressed interest so I knew I had to try them.

Ingredients


As usual, your first step is softening your butter. Once it is softened, beat your butter and sugar together until creamy.
Creamy butter and sugar!

 Then add your egg, milk and vanilla blending completely.  Add your flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt and blend well.  It should look like the below picture.
I used WAY to big a bowl
Once everything is mixed, refrigerate your dough for about an hour until it is firm enough to handle. I also chose to freeze the peppermint patties for a half an hour. I totally recommend doing this as the patties are soft and you will be smooshing them into the dough. After the dough and patties have been chilled, take them both out of the fridge/freezer. Remove wrapping from peppermint patties and place on a plate. I then put the plate back in the freezer and grabbed each pattie from there as I needed them.


Yes, I used the pumpkin shaped ones
 Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Roll bits of dough into 1 1/4 inch balls (I guesstimated). Flatten dough a bit and then press a peppermint pattie into the center, like so: 
Then mold the dough over the pattie, covering it completely. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Repeat for remaining dough and candy.  Sprinkle with sugar. The recipe said to use decorators sugar, I just used white sugar.
Ready for the oven!
Bake for 12minutes. Sprinkle with additional sugar (I did). Allow to cool completely.
All done
These cookies came out pretty good. Only one cookie had peppermint pattie leaking out of it. I did spill the sugar a bit on a couple of the cookies, but it didn't really affect them negatively. They tasted really good. I love mint so these were perfect for me.

Recipe (from Hershey's)

2/3 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1TB milk
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt 
20-24 Hershey's Peppermint Patties (standard bag)
*optional decorative sugar

Beat butter and sugar until creamy.
Add egg, milk and vanilla, beat until combined.
Slowly beat in flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
Refrigerate dough for 1 hour.
Freeze patties for 30 minutes.
Heat oven to 350 degrees.
Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
Take small amounts of dough and form 1 1/4 inch balls.
Flatten slightly and press 1 peppermint pattie into each ball.
Mold dough around pattie to cover completely.
Place on baking sheet and sprinkle with sugar.
Bake 12 minutes.
Allow cookies to cool completely. 
Makes about 20-24 cookies.
Cookie closeup

No comments:

Post a Comment