Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Cake Batter Blondie Bars



I made these yummy blondie bars as one of the treats for my daughters 2nd birthday. I have a niece and a sister who don't like chocolate (yes, sometimes I think they are from another planet too), so I like having something that is chocolate free that they can eat. These were great, easy and really colorful so they are perfect for a party.
Ingredients


Your first step is to combine the cake mix, oil, egg and milk. Add the milk slowly, as you don't want the batter to liquidy. You want a dense batter. Then add in your sprinkles and white chocolate chips. I had a special helper. And she may or may not have licked the mixer attachments clean.
My happy helper
I used two different types of sprinkles, Rainbow sprinkles and nonpareils. I like the difference in texture and honestly, I like nonpareils more than sprinkles. Don't over mix the sprinkles in as they will start to leach color into your batter. Also, I would recommend not using super dark sprinkles as they will almost immediately color your batter.
 All mixed
Once your batter is all mixed, pour it into a greased baking pan. I was out of Pam, so I rubbed a little butter in the bottom and covered it with parchment paper. The butter is used to keep the parchment paper from moving around (see below).


Pour your batter into the prepared pan. I spread it just a bit so it was even throughout the pan.
Ready to bake

Bake for about 25-30min until edges are just starting to brown. You want them to be gooey in the middle. Allow to cool at least 30min before cutting into bars.
ALL DONE!  

I loved the softness of the batter with the crunch of the sprinkles. I was worried that they would be too sweet, but they really weren't. And everyone really liked these at Ariana's party. Even the chocolate lovers!
Recipe:
1 box cake mix (white or yellow)
1/4 cup canola oil
1 egg
1/3 cup milk (you can use more if needed, do not exceed 1/2 cup)
1/2 cup sprinkles  *I used 1/4 cup sprinkles, 1/4 cup nonpareils
1/2 white chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Grease baking pan
Combine cake mix, oil, egg and milk. Add milk slowly.
Mix in chocolate chips and sprinkles. Do not over stir.
Pour into prepared baking pan.
Bake 25-30 minutes until edges are just turning brown.
Cool for at least 30 minutes and cut into bars.
Extreme Blondie Bar Closeup!

No comments:

Post a Comment