Friday, November 8, 2013

Gluten Free Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies


My husband pretty much likes everything Pumpkin.  Every year on his birthday, I've been trying to make him something with pumpkin. I've made Pumpkin cookies, pie, ice cream, French toast.. Well this year, I had a bit of a conundrum as he has decided to cut back on wheat a bit (yes, it's like the bane to my baking existence). So to be supportive, I decided to try my hand at a gluten-free pumpkin cookie. Looking at recipes online was pretty disappointing. I found it very hard to find a decent gluten free recipe. Unless a cookie is meringue based (like my deep-dark-chocolate-cookies), the recipes I found included tons of ingredients I had never heard of and had no idea where to find, like Xanthan Gum. Umm no thanks.
In all my researching, I found that using canned pumpkin can replace the egg and oil you would use when making a cake. I also found a recipe where a girl used gluten free cake mix to make cookies. SCORE!
Ingredients
 

Another thing I loved about this recipe, is that you dump everything in a bowl all at once. I always do the chips last, so you put the cake mix, pumpkin, pumpkin spice and vanilla in a big bowl and mix well.
Ready for mixin'
All mixed!
Once you have mixed all the ingredients you are ready to add your chocolate chips.  Now, I am a big lover of chocolate chips. I always add more than a recipe calls for, but you can add as much or as little.. or omit them all together. These cookies would still taste delish without them.
Loads of chocolate Chips
 
Once your chocolate chips are incorporated, you are ready to start baking. Now, any pumpkin cookie I have made has baked in the exact same shape as when it was dropped onto the cookie sheet. So you don't have to worry about spreading with these. Make sure your cookie sheets are covered in parchment paper as these can stick a bit. Drop dough by the spoonful and bake in a 350 degree oven for about 10min.
In the oven
All done
 
Allow them to cool completely and store them in an airtight container.  These cookies stay soft and they taste SO good. You wouldn't even know they are gluten free!
 
Recipe:
1 box Betty Crocker Gluten Free Cake Mix (yellow)
1 can Pumpkin (pure not pie filling)
2 tablespoons Vanilla
2+ teaspoons Pumpkin Pie Spice (add more if you like, it's egg free so taste!)
1 Cup or more Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips
 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees, line cookie sheet with Parchment paper
Mix all ingredients but chocolate chips in large bowl.
Add Chocolate Chips and mix in
Drop by the spoonful onto cookie sheet
Bake for 10min.
Cool completely and enjoy!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment