Monday, October 26, 2015

Pumpkin Oat Chocolate Chip Cookies


I love fall and anything Pumpkin, not necessarily Pumpkin Spice, related.  I also love making pumpkin cookies. My husband LOVES pumpkin so it's always fun to find new recipes to try. This one was a really good one for him since it combines his favorite cookie (oatmeal chocolate chip) and pumpkin.

The first step is to take your softened butter and add your sugars like below.
Cream the butter and sugars together with an electric mixer until nice and creamy.  Add your egg and mix well.  Then add the vanilla extract and pumpkin. Your mixture should resemble the below picture. 
Not all that appetizing huh?

Since we were making cookies for Daddy's work, I had some super special helpers! They have definitely inherited my love of baking and Craig's love of eating what I make ;) 
My big helpers

Once your pumpkin is all mixed in, add all your dry ingredients and mix until well combined.
Lastly, add your chocolate chips 
When it is all done it should resemble the below mixture. 
You want to let your batter rest for a few minutes so that the oats absorb some of the liquids. I actually refrigerated my batter as I had to take my daughter to soccer practice. I would not recommend refrigerating it as long as I did, as my cookies ended up barely spreading (more on that later). 
I did about 1 1/2 tablespoons of dough that I dropped onto parchment paper lined baking sheets. Then I baked them for about 13 min (until the edges were slightly browned).  
ALL DONE
Now as I said, my cookies didn't really spread all that much, but they did stay nice, thick and chewy. Which is NOT a bad thing!! Craig and his co-workers really liked these and the girls couldn't stop stealing them when we were at the Football game (shh don't tell!).

Recipe: (slightly adapted from Cooking Classy)
1 cup butter, softened
1 1/3 brown sugar, packed
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups canned pumpkin (not pie mix)
2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups quick oats
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
2 TB Pumpkin Pie Spice
2 cups (12 oz bag) semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350
Cream together softened butter and sugars with electric mixer
Add egg and mix
Blend in vanilla and pumpkin
Add dry ingredients (save chocolate chips) and combine slowly
Mix in chocolate chips.
Allow dough to rest about 10 min
Drop rounded TB (I did about 1 1/2) onto parchment paper lined baking sheets
Bake about 13 min or until slightly browned
Cool on baking sheet for a few minutes then transfer to wire rack.
Store in airtight container.

I have one more pumpkin cookie recipe that I will hopefully have uploaded either today or tomorrow, and then a savory pumpkin recipe in the next few days. Enjoy!
Cookie closeup!

No comments:

Post a Comment