Wednesday, November 23, 2011

NC State Peanut Butter Blossoms and Oreo Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies

So this past weekend for the NC State/Clemson football game, I tackled Peanut Butter Blossoms and Oreo Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies. Be forewarned... My camera is not that great, so in turn my pictures.. Well, they leave a lot to be desired. But, I am assured that I will be getting a new one for Christmas, so my pictures *Should* improve.

Red Peanut Butter Blossoms:
I decided to make one of my husbands favorite cookies, Peanut Butter Blossoms/Kiss Cookies. The spin on it this time was that I was going to dye the dough red (Didn't exactly work out) and use Hershey Hugs instead of my go to of Dark Chocolate Kisses. And because I was in a bit of a rush last weekend, I cheated and used Betty Crocker Peanut Butter Cookie mix instead of making the dough from scratch. Heck, 2 kids and one that is literally attached to me every 2 hours should allow for some shortcuts.... Right?

So I made the dough as it said on the package and tried to dye it red..... It really didn't come out that red and I didn't want to use too much. But, I did have red iridescent sugar I was planning on rolling it in, so I was hoping that would make up for the lack of dye.

This is Kaedence being SUPER excited to help. Or just eat the Hugs (which she calls big chocolate chips).
Who doesn't love sparkly sugar?!?!  And RED sparkly sugar at that.
 
So as I said, I made the dough then  rolled them in to roughly 1 inch balls. Then they were rolled through their beauty treatment of red sugar.  Then I lined them up on a baking sheet and popped them in the oven.
Ok, so not exactly uniform in size.

So while they were baking, I opened up all the Hugs I would need for that batch, minus the ones my daughter stole. I find it easier to have the candy ready as you have to shove them into the cookie as soon as they are out of the oven.  Once the cookies were done, I popped the hugs into the middle of each cookie and then left them to cool. You need to leave them to cool for awhile as the Hug will melt and as Kaedence found out, it is very easy to smoosh the Hug.
Finished Cookies!


Recipe:
1 Pkg Betty Crocker Peanut Butter Cookies
1 Egg
Oil and water according to package
1 Pkg Hershey Hugs (You will not use all)
Decorative Sugar... I used Cake Mate Red Crystals
*I also used Red food coloring, but I wouldn't recommend it with the packaged mix.*

Mix cookie dough according to package.
Roll dough into 1 inch balls.
Roll through sugar, coating well. Reform into balls if necessary.
Bake 9 min at 375 Degrees.


 Oreo Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies

I saw a recipe for these on Pinterest and KNEW I had to try them.  What is better than my 2 favorite cookies in ONE!?!  They seemed super easy, but in fact were not as easy as I thought to assemble. Oh and I should mention, they were GIGANTIC. Like huge to the point of only being able to bake 6 at a time. Kaedence LOVED these cookies. Though, I don't think Kaedence has met a cookie she didn't like.  Oh and while I'm on the subject of kids... Here is a picture of what my husband, dog and baby were doing while Kaedence and I slaved over the cookies:
I love them =0)

So on to the cookies....  These were super yummy and very, very decadent. Like I couldn't eat more than one in a sitting. You take a basic chocolate chip cookie recipe, whip it up and wrap it around an Oreo. I had to try really hard not to eat one raw. I love me some cookie dough. That may be the worst part about being pregnant. The inability to eat any type of raw dough or mix. So I am certainly making up for it now. 

Here is my almost finished cookie dough and the Winter Double Stuff Oreos.

I used the red holiday Oreo's because NC State's colors are Red (and white).  Once my cookie dough was mixed, I started the task of covering an Oreo with the chocolate chip cookie dough. It was really not easy. The dough was sticky and was sticking to my hands a ton.  I seriously recommend refrigerating the dough for a few and keeping flour nearby for your hands. I did this after my first batch. Basically you put a glob of cookie dough on top of the Oreo, a glob under and then wrap it around the sides so the Oreo is completely covered. Then you bake them.
HUGE Cookies in the oven.
As I said, these cookies are gigantic. I could only bake 6 at a time. My whole batch made about 16 very large cookies (after I ate some of the dough of course). 

 Finished Cookie!

The cookies all came out yummy and the guys loved them. This cookie also had a surprise. Above the Oreo, a little bubble formed (not sure why). And in that bubble was gooey cookie dough. YUM.

 Right out of the oven. See the gooey soft cookie dough on top of the smooshy Oreo? HEAVENLY

Recipe:
2 Sticks (1 cup) softened butter
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
3 1/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 package Double Stuff Oreo cookies

In large bowl, cream butter and sugars. Beat in eggs and vanilla extract.
Add Flour, salt and baking soda and mix until well combined. Add chocolate chips and mix. 
*Refrigerate if dough is too sticky to handle*
Take dough and form a ball or lump. Place 1 lump under and 1 lump over Oreo. Smoosh over sides until  Oreo is completely covered.
Bake in 350 degree oven for 12-14min or until golden brown.

And that's it for last weekends cookies! Stay tuned for my next foray into cookie making this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment