Monday, February 25, 2013

Multi-Colored Swirl Cookies



It's been a VERY long time since my last post. We have been very busy the past few months. Between traveling for the holidays, moving (again!) and the normal run of stomach bugs/colds and just everyday craziness, my blog fell to the wayside. I have recipes to post from Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas! So, let's get started!
Ingredients

I have to say, I was really excited to make these cookies. I saw them on Pinterest a while ago and thought they would be so much fun to make on Halloween.  However, mine did not come out that great. They tasted good, but they didn't exactly come out looking like the ones on the original post. In hindsight, I would take the time to make the sugar cookie dough from scratch instead of using store bought dough.

Once you have your cookie dough all set, separate into 4 equal batches.  Then use food coloring (I like the gel versions best) to dye the dough. For Halloween, I used Orange, Green, Purple and Black. The neat thing about these is that you can customize them for any occasion/Holiday. To mix the color into your dough, roll each section into balls and then create a dip in the middle. Put your food coloring into the hole and then work it around until the color is completely worked through. It should resemble the below picture once you are done.
 
 
Next, you want to start ripping off chunks and rolling them into grape sized balls. You want to take care making sure they are fairly equal in size. Line them on a parchment lined baking sheet. I will admit, I rolled mine a bit too big, but I will get into that in a bit.  Once you have all your dough rolled into balls, refrigerate for about a half an hour if they are really soft. If you used store-bought dough you most likely will need to.
 
Once you are ready to make your cookies, take one ball of each color and smoosh them together forming a sort of ball. You then want to roll them out forming a rope you want to make sure that you can see all of the colors through out your rope.
Your balls should be MUCH smaller
Rope
 
Once you have your rope formed, start coiling up the rope. Start at one end and start wrapping the dough around itself. It should look like the following picture.
Coiled Cookie
 
Once you have your coiled cookie you can dip the edges in sprinkles. Then place them on parchment paper lined baking sheets.
In the oven
 
You will want to bake them at 350 degrees for about 8-9 minutes.  Now my first batch came out AWFUL. Like worst batch ever. My problem was that I initially rolled my balls too large so that my cookies were so big and they just melted into themselves.  So my second batch i halved all my balls and kept them in the fridge, just taking out what I needed and rolling.
 






First batch.. Awful
 
Better second batch
 
Now, my second batch came out better, however the sprinkles STILL ended up on the bottom of the cookies! I think it's because I didn't bother refrigerating the cookies after coiling so they didn't exactly hold their shape. Also, I think if I had made the dough from scratch it would have held up better.
 
 


So, if I make these again for a different holiday, I would make the dough myself and do a bit more refrigerating. But they were fun to make and they tasted pretty good.

Recipe (adapted from MakeBakeCelebrate)
Sugar Cookie Dough
Food Coloring
Sprinkles

Separate cookie dough into 4 equal parts
Dye cookie dough
Pull off chunks of cookie dough and roll into grape sized balls.
*If dough is soft, refrigerate for about 30min.
Take one ball of each color and form into a ball.
Roll out dough into a rope.
Coil dough around one end to form a cookie.
Dip edges in sprinkles.
Refrigerate to keep dough from spreading out.
Bake cookies at 350 degrees for 8-9 min.
Cool completely.
 
 

1 comment: