Thursday, August 22, 2013

Chocolate Fudge Pie


This pie (IMO) goes by two different names, Chocolate Fudge Pie, and Chocolate Chess Pie. I think the only difference, and I could be wrong, is the crust. Typically the Chess pie uses a traditional pie crust while the Fudge pie uses a graham cracker crust.
Now my love for Chess pie started when my husband worked for NC State. For Thanksgiving, the whole football team and staff would eat at The Angus Barn . The food was awesome, but my favorite part was the dessert. It was the first place I had ever had Chess Pie. The only down side for me was the crust. I really don't care for traditional pie crusts. I typically will try pies with different crusts (like pumpkin with graham cracker). My sister actually told me she made a pie similar to the Chess Pie but that it was called a Fudge pie. So for Thanksgiving, I decided to make the pie using a chocolate graham crust.
Ingredients
 
Since I always like to go the easy route, I used a premade crust. I honestly thought about using an Oreo crust, but figured I'd go more traditional. Though, I may try that the next time. So really the fist thing you need to do is take the cover off and set the crust aside. Easy Peasy right?
Then melt your butter with the cocoa powder in a microwave safe bowl until the butter is all melted. I usually cut up the butter so it melts faster and microwave for 20 second intervals. It should look like the below picture when it is all melted.
Melted butter and Cocoa powder
 
Once it is melted and mixed, add the sugar, salt, vanilla, and eggs. Whisk together until it has been thoroughly mixed.

All mixed
 
Pour your mixture into the pie crust and bake in a pre-heated 325 degree oven for about 40 minutes, or until the top has set.
Ready for the Oven
All Baked!
 
When the pie is done baking, it should have a crisp, shell like topping, while the inside is a fudgy, brownie-mix like consistency. Which is basically how this pie tastes. Like yummy hot brownie mix. Needless to say, this entire pie was gone by the end of Thanksgiving.  You can eat it plain, or top off your piece of pie with some vanilla ice cream. Either way, I think you will enjoy it!
 
Recipe:
1 premade 9 inch pie crust (I used Chocolate Graham)
1 Stick of Butter
3 tablespoons Unsweetened Cocoa Powder (I used Hershey's Special Dark)
1 cup Sugar
2 Eggs lightly beaten
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
 
Preheat oven to 325 degrees
Melt butter and cocoa powder in microwave safe bowl
Add Sugar, Eggs, Vanilla and Salt and whisk together
When mixed thoroughly, pour into your pie crust
Bake for 40 minutes or until top is set.
*optional.. Serve with vanilla ice cream*
 




No comments:

Post a Comment