Monday, March 10, 2014

Cookie Dough Stuffed Brownies


A couple of weeks ago, my twin sister wanted to have a weekend of baking. Really for no reason other than to try some new recipes and get ourselves and the rest of our family totally chocolate-wasted. How could I possibly pass that up? 

Now, I know everyone has seen cookie dough stuffed cupcakes. Like total deliciousness right? Well, I'd never seen cookie dough stuffed brownies and I REALLY wanted to try it out.  Now, these didn't turn out exactly the way I'd hope, but I do have some tips on how to make them better which I'll include as I go.

Ingredients for cookie dough balls

My favorite part of this recipe is the cookie dough. Who doesn't like to eat raw cookie dough?! If you don't, I'm sorry but you are missing out.  Good thing for you, this is totally egg-less and safe to eat! You need to make these ahead of time as you want to freeze them for a couple hours to overnight. Your first step is creaming together your softened butter and sugars. It should look like the below picture.

Then mix in your milk and vanilla extract. Add your flour and salt and mix until combined. Lastly add your mini chocolate chips. The resulting dough should resemble the following picture:
Next, take small amounts of dough (I did about a tablespoon) and roll into balls. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Repeat with remainder of the dough. Freeze overnight. I did mine for 6 hours, but I think they could have used longer.
Ready for freezing

Once your cookie dough balls are thoroughly frozen, you can start making your brownies. I used DH Dark Chocolate Fudge brownies. I love dark chocolate brownies and I really like boxed mix. I know, I know... If you want to substitute a 'from scratch' recipe, go ahead!
Ingredients for Brownie Mix

Prepare your brownie mix according to recipe or box instructions.  I doubled the brownie mix, which probably wasn't the best idea. Anyway, pour half your mixture into a greased baking dish. I used a 2qt dish.

Half the mix in
Frozen cookie dough


Remove your frozen cookie dough balls from the freezer. Place immediately into your brownie mix pushing them into the batter a bit, like below.

Don't you just want to pull one out and eat it?

Cover with the remaining brownie mix.

Little lumps of cookie dough goodness

Bake according to brownie directions.  Now, here is where my great idea got a little wonky. Because I doubled the mix and used a smallish pan, the brownies took forever to cook. Not a great idea when you want balls of cookie DOUGH in the batter.

ALL DONE

My brownies were pretty gooey, and more gooey than the cookie dough. I would recommed smaller cookie dough balls and a longer baking sheet so the brownies don't cook as long. Or doing brownie cups which is what I will do if I make these again. All in all, they still tasted great, and the cookie dough balls (though not super doughy) were still yummy.

Recipe:
For the cookie dough balls
 1 stick softened butter
 6 Tbs brown sugar
 6 Tbs sugar
 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
 2 Tbs milk
 1 1/4 cup flour
 1/8 tsp salt
 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips

For the Brownies
 1 box Dark Chocolate Brownie Mix
 Egg, water & oil according to box directions
             *or*
 Brownie recipe of your choice

Combine softened butter and sugars until creamy
Add milk and vanilla and mix until smooth
Add flour and salt and stir until combined
Stir in chocolate chips
Using tablespoon, scoop out cookie dough. Roll into balls
Place on parchment paper lined baking sheet
Repeat with remaining dough
Freeze overnight

Prepare brownie mix according to box directions
Pour half of brownie mix into greased baking sheet
Press balls of cookie dough into brownie mix
Top with remaining brownie mix
Bake according to box directions

*Alternate*
Pour brownie mix into muffin tins, filling halfway
Press cookie dough ball into each tin
Cover with remaining brownie mix
Bake in 350 degree oven for 18min.



No comments:

Post a Comment