Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Chocolate Chip M&M Cake Batter Bars


My girls and I made these lovelies for the Superbowl.  I made Cake Batter Blondies before, but they were chocolate free. We love chocolate in this house, and these are chock full of it!

Ingredients 

Kae, my daughter, was obsessed with the Valentine's day cake mix when we saw it at the store. I think she really liked the red sprinkles. I liked that I didn't have to add extra sprinkles to the mix. Your first step is to combine the cake mix, oil, egg and milk. Add the milk slowly, as you want a dense batter. It should resemble the below picture.
My little helpers were REALLY excited to help clean the beaters. 

Once your batter is ready, you can add in your chocolate chips and M&M's. I did a cup of each, since I wanted it REALLY chocolaty. 

Ariana adding in the Chocolate Chips
Kaedence adding the M&M's

Stir in the chocolate chips and M&M's until they are thoroughly mixed in. It should look similar to the below picture.

Spread your batter into a greased pan. I used a 2qt glass pan because I wanted thick bars.  As you can see in the below picture, I topped mine with a couple M&M's and chocolate chips. They turned out fine, but given the long cooking time, the chocolate chips did come close to being too cooked (burning). So you can skip that step if you choose.
Ready for cookin'!
Bake your bars for about 25-30 minutes in a 350 degree pre-heated oven until the top is golden brown. Allow to cool for about 30 mintues before cutting into bars. 
Ready to eat!

Topped with ice cream (how we ate them the first night) or alone they were perfect. Every bit had chocolate in it and they were not over powered by the cake flavor. They really were delicious. 

Recipe:
1 box Funfetti (or other sprinkle cake mix)
1/4 cup canola oil
1 egg
1/3 cup milk (you can use more if needed, do not exceed 1/2 cup)
1 cup Chocolate Chips
1 cup M&M's (I used Dark Chocolate)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Grease baking pan
Combine cake mix, oil, egg and milk. Add milk slowly.
Mix in chocolate chips and M&M's. Do not over stir.
Pour into prepared baking pan.
Bake 25-30 minutes until edges are just turning brown.
Cool for at least 30 minutes and cut into bars.

No comments:

Post a Comment