Saturday, December 17, 2011

Deviled Eggs


I'm sure there are people that think it's crazy to have a post about deviled eggs. But in all seriousness, this is the first time I've ever made them.  I have never thought of making them before. Maybe it's because they always remind me of a holiday or big family-gathering food.  And they always seemed like a hard thing to make, when in reality, they are super easy. I of course had to call my mom to find out how she makes them. I remember them being REALLY good, and wanted to make them like she does.
Boiling Eggs!

The first thing you have to do is boil your eggs. Now I have a special way of boiling eggs that I learned from the Food Network. You put your eggs in cold water then bring to a boil. Boil for ONE minute, then remove from heat.  For hard boiled eggs, let sit for 10 minutes.  For some reason, the eggs come out perfect when cooked like this, and the yolks have a golden orange color as opposed to the powdery yellow (sometimes greenish) color.  Once the 10 minutes are up, pour out water and re-cover eggs with cold water.
Cold bath

My post-baby brain caused me to almost reach into the pot of super hot water to grab an egg before having them sit in cold water. I don't know why, but I remembered right before I touched the scalding hot water. Phew! Now for the hardest part: Pealing the eggs. This either goes REALLY easy and good for me, or downright bad.  I boiled 6 eggs and had 5 and 1 lonely yolk once all were peeled. Once all your eggs are peeled, slice eggs in half (longways) and 'pop' the yolk out of the eggs into a small bowl.
See? Nice golden color

Once you have all the yolks in a bowl, mash with fork and add mayonnaise and mustard.  You can add anything you want, but I just made basic Deviled Eggs.  Combine until creamy. Then spoon back into the empty eggs.  I know some people pipe the egg mixture into the eggs, but I'm just not that fancy!
Popped out pretty easily

All mixed together!

The cool thing about deviled eggs is that they are customizable. You want relish in them? Add it! Hate mustard? Don't use it! They are that easy! When I make these again, I will use a bit more mustard, because you couldn't really taste it. I wanted the tang I remember my moms having. Maybe though, it's just one of those things our mom's will always make better.

Recipe:
6 Eggs
About 1/4 Cup mayo (a little more, a little less)
Mustard (add to preferred taste)

Hard Boil Eggs
Peel Eggs
Slice in half longways
Pop Out Yolks into bowl
Mash Yolks with a fork
Add desired amount of mayo and mustard until creamy.
Spoon into halved eggs.
Refrigerate about an hour before eating. 

In case I don't get a chance to post next week (Bowl week and Christmas), Happy Holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment