Friday, December 2, 2011

Pepperoni & Cheese Crescent Rolls

When my husband is away, I like to make and eat food that he normally wouldn't eat. I'm a big fan of snacky foods, especially since my 2 1/2 year old doesn't eat much. I feel it's really a waste to make an elaborate sized meal for the 2 of us. For dinner last night, I wanted something quick and easy to make. I saw this recipe on Pinterest and thought I would try it out. It is super easy, cheap, and fast! And the best part: my daughter LOVED them.

Pepperoni & Cheese Crescent Rolls
Now, my husband probably would eat these as a snack or during a football game when we tend to eat more 'junky' type foods. 
Ingredients

Like I said, this was super easy. Only THREE ingredients. How many dinner's do we make that only involve 3 things? Not many.  Now, you can pretty much use any type/flavor of cheese, we used Mozzarella. It's Kaedence's favorite and she loves the Harris Teeter brand string cheese. I used to be against using store brand products, basically out of spoiled-ness and the assumption that 'store brand' meant cheap/bad tasting food. Not so! I LOVE the Harris Teeter brand products.  I would have gone with HT crescent rolls, but the Pillsbury ones were on sale and I had a coupon.  We also spent a bit more on Nitrate-free Pepperoni. We actually don't buy regular pepperoni anymore.   The first thing you do is lay out the crescents on a baking sheet. I did four at a time (8 in the roll), since they were easier to roll up. I then chopped up my pepperoni and laid them on larger end of the crescents.
MMMM Pepperoni

Then I cut my string cheese in half and laid those on top of the pepperoni. Then I slowly rolled up the crescent as I would if I was making the regular rolls. I then tried sealing in the sides around the cheese. It worked better on some then others as you will see.
 
Ready to be rolled up!
Ready for the oven

Then you bake them according to the cresent roll package. I would probably leave them in a minute or 2 more depending on how crispy and brown you like your crescents. As is, I cooked mine for the full amount of time they requested. I had some cheesey explosions, but I liked it. Extra crispy cheese, yummy!
Ready to eat! (Something tells me I should ask Santa for a new baking sheet)
Doesn't this look delish?

And you're done! This meal took all of 20 minutes to make and cook.  They were really yummy, and the only thing I would change would be to seal the ends better and cook them for a minute longer. They weren't as brown as I usually like. But that is just my preference.

Recipe:
1 can Crescent Rolls
4 sticks String Cheese cut in half (I used Harris Teeter Mozzarella)
8 Large Pepperoni chopped up (You can use more or less depending on your preference)

Preheat oven according to Crescent Roll package (mine was 350degrees)
Lay out crescents on baking sheet
Lay pepperoni on long side of crescent.
Top with half a string cheese
Carefully roll up into crescent roll shape, try to seal in sides.
Bake according to crescent roll package.

No baking this weekend for me as there are a few holiday events going on in town, and FREE cupcakes! So, I'm going to be partaking in that with my little munchkin instead of baking. I certainly cannot pass up to have one of my favorite desserts (being cupcakes) and free ones to boot! Hope you all have a fantastic weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment