Thursday, July 12, 2012

Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies



People that know me, know that when I'm stressed, like really stressed, I like to bake/and or eat sweets.  I've been like this for as long as I can remember.  Sometimes, I'll just grab something at the store, but most of the time, I will make something from scratch.  Yesterday was no exception. I received a call that my parents had been in a car accident. It is awful having to sit around (being 10 hours away from my parents), and wait for a phone call to know that everything is ok. It reminds me of the first time my sister and I made chocolate chip cookies all by ourselves. Our cousin had gotten into a accident with our youngest brother and sister. Because my sister and I were so worried, we made cookies. They were AWFUL. I remember that my Grandpa kept eating them saying how good they were until my mom made him stop because all you could really taste was baking powder!  I swear, I've gotten better at baking since then.

While waiting around, my daughter and I made these chocolate chocolate chip cookies. I made this recipe up myself so it's a cookie I'm really proud of.
 Ingredients (minus salt and eggs)

First things first. As with almost every cookie recipe, you start with softened butter.  Once your butter is softened, add your sugar and brown sugar. Combine both until creamy.
Cutest helper every mixing in the sugars

Add in your eggs and mix well.
Doesn't that look.... nice.

Once the eggs are mixed in add your dry ingredients.  I am not one to use separate bowls, so I just pile all the dry ingredients (flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt) on top of the wet mixture and stir.  I ALWAYS add the chocolate chips last because I almost always taste the dough first.
Dry ingredients piled on
 All mixed (minus the chips)

Once you mix in the chocolate chips (I did not photo this), place the dough on your baking/cookie sheet. I usually use a cookie dough scoop, but this time I just guesstimated about a tablespoon of dough and plopped them onto the sheet. I got about 24 cookies from this. Bake them for about 9minutes in a 350 degree oven.
Ready for baking
Done

The thing I love about these cookies is that they bake with a crispiness on the outside and a softness on the inside. I love the mix of crisp and soft.  I also really enjoy the chocolatey flavor these have.  Kaedence enjoying making them too, though she regretted sticking her finger and tasting the plain flour and cocoa powder. And yes, I laughed at that.

Recipe
1 stick softened butter
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
2 cups flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup (or more) chocolate chips  *I like lots of chocolate chips*

Combine butter and sugars until creamy
Add egg and mix well
Add all dry ingredients, mix well
Add chocolate chips.
Drop by rounded spoonfuls onto baking sheet
Bake in a 350 Degree oven for about 9min.
 Closeup of the cookie

Thankfully, everyone came out of the accident fine albeit bruised and battered. Their car wasn't so lucky. But, cars are replaceable. Parent's aren't.  I don't want to come off preachy (especially since this is a cooking blog and mostly happy), but I just wanted to say: Seat belts are important. Airbags are needed. Wear one and make sure your car has the other.

And on that note... Enjoy this recipe  <3

No comments:

Post a Comment